Products: MicroTools™ Kit 1
Our original MicroTool kit, containing 20 tools for common sample manipulations and measurements. These tools have tips made from soft, flexible microfabricated polymer films. Tip curvature gives them rigidity, but they can still easily be flexed to conform to a well or slide surface. These tools are far less likely to damage fragile samples than metal microtools, and are optically and X-ray transparent. Use for protein crystals, single cells and other small samples.
The tips of these tools are 12.5 micrometers thick and can be used to support samples in X-ray beams, producing less background scatter. They are less durable than the thicker tools in Kit 2.
Each tool is mounted on a 0.025"/ 0.64 mm diameter nonmagnetic solid stainless steel rod. Hold them in a standard 0.7 mm mechanical pencil (included with each kit), or in a micromanipulator.
Each kit contains:
- MicroSpoon™: One each of small, medium and large sizes. Use to push, detach from surfaces, separate from a cluster, lift, and transfer. Push down to flatten tip and slide under your sample.
- MicroChisel™: One each of small, medium and large sizes. Use to push, detach from surfaces, separate from a cluster, lift, and transfer. Push down to flatten tip and slide under your sample.
- MicroLasso™: One each of small and large sizes. Use like a loop to lasso, pull and detach a sample from a surface.
- MicroSieve™: One each of small, medium and large sizes. Use to sieve samples out of solution, and to lift, transfer and soak.
- MicroTip™: One 50 micrometer diameter tip. Use to poke, separate and lift samples. Also use to reposition samples on a MicroMount or MicroMesh.
- MicroGripper™: One each of small, medium and large sizes. Push down onto your sample to firmly capture it, or slide underneath your sample to delicately support it. Holds crystals rigidly without damaging them for room temperature X-ray measurements.
- MicroRuler™: One 600 micrometer wide ruler, with 25 micrometer gradations.
- MicroSaw™: Two saws. Use in conjunction with a needle to cut and remove protein skins, gels, dense lipid phases and soft tissues from around your sample.
To see the tool kit, click here .