Products: MicroTools™ Kit 2
Based upon customer feedback, we've separated out the sample manipulation tools in Kit 1, modified their designs, and made them thicker and more durable. The ideal kit for common sample manipulation tasks.
As with Kit 1, these tools have tips made from soft, flexible microfabricated polymer films. Tip curvature gives them rigidity, but they can still easily be flexed to conform to a well or slide surface. These tools are far less likely to damage fragile samples than metal microtools, and are optically and X-ray transparent. Use for protein crystals, single cells and other small samples.
The tips of these tools are 18 micrometers thick, so they generate more background X-ray scatter in X-ray beams than the tools in Kit 1 (but still less than other commercial X-ray sample mounting technologies.)
Each tool is mounted on a 0.025"/ 0.64 mm diameter nonmagnetic solid stainless steel rod. Hold them in a standard 0.7 mm mechanical pencil (included with each kit), or in a micromanipulator.
Each kit contains:
- MicroTip™: Two each of 25 and 50 micrometer diameter tips. Use to poke, separate and lift samples. Also use to reposition samples on a MicroMount or MicroMesh. Shape is designed to minimize disturbance of surrounding liquid while maximizing tip rigidity.
- MicroSpoon™: Two small and one large size. Use to push, detach from surfaces, separate from a cluster, lift, and transfer. Push down to flatten tip and slide under your sample.
- MicroChisel™: Two small and one large size. Use to push, detach from surfaces, separate from a cluster, lift, and transfer. Push down to flatten tip and slide under your sample.
- MicroLasso™: Two small and one large size. Use like a loop to lasso, pull and detach a sample from a surface.
- MicroSieve™: Two small, two medium and one large size. Use to sieve samples out of solution, and to lift, transfer and soak.
- MicroSaw™: Two saws. Use in conjunction with a needle to cut and remove protein skins, gels, dense lipid phases and soft tissues from around your sample.
To see the tool kit, click here .