The Advanced Light Source
The Molecular Biology Consortium (MBC) was formed to manage the construction and operation of X-ray beamline 4.2.2 at the Advanced Light Source (ALS): a superconducting dipole magnet source (a â€œSuperbendâ€). The beamline was constructed under the leadership of Dr. Edwin Westbrook, Scientific Director of the MBC. Currently, the beamline is operated under the direction of Dr. Jay Nix, Beamline Manager of the MBC.1
Automated Systems at 4.2.2:
ALS 4.2.2 is equipped with an Rigaku ACTOR crystal mounting robot. Many of 4.2.2 users now routinely send crystals in dewars, and collect data remotely without actually traveling to Berkeley. MBC staff mount crystal samples in pucks, and then turn over the beamline to the user who, with help from web cameras and remote presence software, can run their own experiments with minimal participation by MBC staff. 2
Jay Nix, Ph.D.
Primary Mailing Address:
Molecular Biology Consortium
BLDG. 6, Beamline 4.2.2
1 Cyclotron Rd.
Berkeley, CA 94720
We recommend the following tools for their compatibility and ease-of-use.
|Puck Style||Uni-Puck||Uni-Puck, ALS, ACTOR†|
|Mount/Loop Style||MicroMounts™ & MicroLoops™ LD||Any|
|Rod Length||18mm||11mm, 18mm, 19mm, 25mm|
|Base Style||B1A-Reusable||B1A-Reusable, B1-R, B3-R, B3S-R, B5-R|
†To purchase ACTOR pucks, please contact us.
Sample Preparation Kits
Convenient kits of compatible assemblies of MiTeGen recommended products
Beamline Sample Preparation Kits are available in 3 aperture size assortments based on your crystal sizes and include:
- Assemblies of 100 Crystal Mounts, on 18 mm pins, available in the following assortment:
- 20 x Dual-Thickness MicroLoops ™ LD (5 each of 10, 20, 30 and 50 μm aperture sizes)
- 40 x Dual-Thickness MicroMount ™ (10 each of 75, 100, 150 and 200 μm aperture sizes)
- 20 x Dual-Thickness MicroLoops ™ (5 each of 300, 400, 500 and 600 μm aperture sizes)
- 20 x MicroMeshes ™ (5 each of 10, 25, 50 and 25L μm aperture sizes)
- Installed in 100 B5-R reusable bases or 100 regular bases
- Packaged and stored in 5 MiTeGen base holders
Uni-puck Starter Kit 2 includes:
- (7) Universal V-1 Pucks
- (1) Double Puck Loading Dewar with Lid
- (1) Puck Wand
- (1) Puck Dewar Loading Tool
- (1) Puck Separator Tools
- (1) Shelved Puck Shipping Cane
- (1) Bent Cryo-Tong
- (1) Cryo Express Dry Shipper (CX100)
- (1) Shipping case for CX100
*custom kits are available, contact MiTeGen with specific requests.