APS 23-ID-D (GM/CA)
The Advanced Photon Source
Sector 23 utilizes canted undulators to provide two independent sources for 23-ID-B (U33) and 23-ID-D (U30). The beamlines support macromolecular crystallography, MAD/SAD phasing, virus crystallography, microcrystals, and serial crystallography. The beamlines are equipped with on-axis-microscopes allowing parallax free alignment. Our quad-mini-beam collimators (Fischetti, et.al. JSR 16, 217-225) provide high intensity 5, 10, or 20 micron beams. The sample goniometer has a ~1 micron (peak-to-peak) sphere-of-confusion. Powerful user friendly software (JBluIce-EPICS) provides the ability to raster scan the diffractive or fluorescence properties of a sample to locate micro-crystals or map the properties of larger crystals. The effects of radiation damage can be mitigated by spreading the dose over a 3-dimensional vector. A high-capacity (288 samples) ALS-style sample automounter provides high throughput sample screening. The automounter accommodates ALS-Hampton pins in ALS and Unipuck pucks. The focusing mirrors have degraded on 23-ID-D and mini-beam intensity has been restored using Compound Refractive Lenses (CRLs). This temporarily limits the energy range to 11.0-13.5 keV. We anticipate installing a CRL transfocator for the 2020-2 run which will further increase intensity and restore the energy range to 5-20 keV. 1
Robert F. Fischetti
We recommend the following tools for their compatibility and ease-of-use.
|Puck Style||Uni-Puck||Uni-Puck, ALS, ACTOR†|
|Mount/Loop Style||MicroMounts™ & MicroLoops™ LD||Any|
|Base Style||B1A-Reusable||B1A-Reusable, B1A, B3S-Reusable, B3S B5-Reusable, B-5|
|*Automounter Equipment Requirements. GM/CA @ APS. Retrieved November 4, 2013.
†To purchase ACTOR pucks, please contact us.
Sample Preparation Kits
Convenient kits of compatible assemblies of MiTeGen recommended products
Beamline Sample Preparation Kits are available in 3 aperture size assortments based on your crystal sizes and include:
- Assemblies of 100 Crystal Mounts, on 18 mm pins, available in the following assortment:
- 20 x Dual-Thickness MicroLoops ™ LD (5 each of 10, 20, 30 and 50 μm aperture sizes)
- 40 x Dual-Thickness MicroMount ™ (10 each of 75, 100, 150 and 200 μm aperture sizes)
- 20 x Dual-Thickness MicroLoops ™ (5 each of 300, 400, 500 and 600 μm aperture sizes)
- 20 x MicroMeshes ™ (5 each of 10, 25, 50 and 25L μm aperture sizes)
- Installed in 100 B5-R reusable bases or 100 regular bases
- Packaged and stored in 5 MiTeGen base holders
Uni-puck Starter Kit 2 includes:
- (7) Universal V-1 Pucks
- (1) Double Puck Loading Dewar with Lid
- (1) Puck Wand
- (1) Puck Dewar Loading Tool
- (1) Puck Separator Tools
- (1) Shelved Puck Shipping Cane
- (1) Bent Cryo-Tong
- (1) Cryo Express Dry Shipper (CX100)
- (1) Shipping case for CX100
*custom kits are available, contact MiTeGen with specific requests.