Crystal annealing1 is a promising technique to improve diffraction quality of poorly diffracting protein crystals. The Cryo Shutter, developed by Dr. Uwe Mueller et al., MX-Lab at BESSY-II, HZB Berlin-Adlershof, is designed for crystal annealing at your home
The Cryo Shutter, developed by Dr. Uwe Mueller et al., MX-Lab at BESSY-II, HZB Berlin-Adlershof, is designed for crystal annealing at your home source:
- Precise interruption of the cryostream
- Reproducible crystal annealing on the loop
- Extremely fast closing and opening of the shutter prevents turbulences
- Timer controlled or manually triggered shutter operation
- Minimal spacial requirements at sample position
The Cryo Shutter Assembly Kit is available for Cryojet Systems (Oxford Instruments) as well as for Cryostream 700 Systems (Oxford Cryosystems).
The Cryo Shutter Assembly Kit includes:
- Shutter aparatus
- USB interface
- Shutter control software (Windows XP or later version)
- AC power supply
Please note, the shutter operation requires a pressurized air source.
- Harp et al. (1999) Macromolecular crystal annealing: evaluation of techniques and variables. Acta Cryst D55:1329
- See also: Bunick et al. (1998) Macromolecular crystal annealing: techniques and case studies. The Rigaku Journal 15:2